Oh my goodness you guys! I honestly can’t believe it. I’m so excited!! After a few months in, I have been nominated for the the Blogger Recognition Award! I want to send a huge thank you to Laila from FromTheScars for nominating my blog.
Let me explain a little about the award.
The Blogger Recognition Award is given to bloggers by bloggers to show appreciation for the hard work, time, and dedication they are putting into their blogs. It’s an awesome award because getting a blog up and running is no piece of cake. It takes a lot of perseverance, energy, patience, and learning new skills along the way.
I’m going to quote Laila here because I don’t think I can say this next part any better: Receiving this award is a great honor and each blogger who receives it should be proud of what they have accomplished, but should also remember this isn’t the finish line, just a milestone. There is always more growth and knowledge to obtain. Take this award wear it with pride and keep building your blog.
I’d like to share with you a little bit about Laila. This is her blog’s story, told using her words:
Laila started her blog, From the Scars, because throughout her life she has felt alone. She ultimately wanted to create an environment where she could share her struggles and hopefully find others who could relate to her. Laila didn’t want to continue to live her life feeling like she didn’t belong. She also wanted to provide a place where people could find comfort and even a friend.
But as the weeks went by blogging, she realized this was only one aspect of who she was and wanted to branch out and include the various parts of herself. Which is when she decided her blog’s niche would be a Lifestyle one. She has added stories about herself and her family, self-help articles, daily quotes that she loves, and her favorite “Music Monday.” She has so many other parts of herself that she is looking forward to sharing. She loves to draw, write (stories, aside from my blog), cooking, and making crafts. So she is hoping to add a D.I.Y, drawing, and cooking section to her site in the near-future.
A little bit about my blog!
I had tried blogging before with a focus of cooking and DIYs. But life happened and I decided to take a break. After a few years away from the blogging world and having my life become drastically different than before, I decided to start Mac ‘n Cheese, Coffee & Grace share this new journey I am on.
My blog’s focus right now is all-things homeschool. I have three kids ranging in age from 2 to 11 and that provides challenges some days when trying to school. I wanted to share our experiences in the hopes that it will help someone that comes after me and has the same struggles. I wanted a place to share our ideas and what we’re doing because, while they are quite a few homeschool blogs out there, no two homeschools are alike and we all contribute something different.
In time, I want to add other sections to the blog to reflect other things we enjoy doing. I want to add a Kids Crafts section because my girls LOVE to do crafts. I want to add a section for cooking because I miss spending time in the kitchen just for fun and sharing the yummy treats. I also want have meal planning section to help others who are struggling to figure out what to get on the table while schooling your kids at home and at the same time to stay on budget with a family of five– it can be tough when you have big eaters! And lastly, an idea my girls and I are playing around with is having a YouTube channel to share videos…we’ll see about that one. 😉
As part of accepting this award, I am asked to share some advice with new bloggers. I’ll do my best since I am still a new blogger as well, and still learning as I go.
- So I guess my first piece of advice is to never stop learning. Never stop trying to learn about different aspects of blogging and getting your voice out there. Listen to other bloggers who have done it successfully and take what you can to use to get your blog further along. Or just Google topics like “Things a New Blogger Needs to Know” and check out what pops up. But seriously, learn as much as you can as you go.
- Slow and steady wins the race. I think it’s easy to get overwhelmed when reading other blogs that have a similar viewpoint as your own and feel like you have to have everything they do starting day one. Since they have probably been at it a little longer than you (or A LOT longer in some cases), it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. I felt like I had to have everything they did from the get-go in order to keep up. But going full force right out of the gate is a great way to burn yourself out. And that’s not going to get you any further. Slow down, take it one thing at a time. You’ll get there when you’re ready.
- Stay positive. You aren’t going to be an overnight success. It’s going to take a lot of fighting and pushing and time and energy and maybe even a few tears. After you dry those tears of frustration, remember that you are farther along today than you were yesterday and next month you’ll be further along than right now. Stay positive and keep pushing. It’s easy to get discouraged when your blog’s mailing list is sitting at the same number for a couple of weeks. But that just means you need to change up what you’re doing. Stay positive and keep pushing. It’s easy to get discourage when you see your emails aren’t adding up to traffic to your post. Try changing up your email format. But stay positive and keep pushing.
- Lastly, I’ve heard this over and over and over. So I’m going to share it, too. Join a community. Join a couple of communities. I think it is never more important than in the beginning to join a blogging community. You need to lean on each other, to learn from each other, to encourage each other, to push each other when you aren’t sure if you should keep going, to help each other be seen and heard. I’ve joined BlogLovin’ but haven’t had much luck. There are lots on Facebook though! I’m a part of Mom Blog Tribe and there are more: Mom Blogger Tribe, Blogging Boost, Blogging Newbs, Boss Girl Bloggers. Check them out and get out there!
*I will be nominating 15 new bloggers for this award so stay tuned for my choices!!*
Rules for Accepting this Award:
• Take the time to thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog
• Write a post to show your award
• Give a brief story how your blog started
• Give pieces of advice to new bloggers
• Select 15 other bloggers you want to give this award to
• Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them, provide the link to the post you created
Best of luck everyone!